Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Dynamited Cave

We have explored most of Dynamited Cave over the last 15 years. I have been in the cave on many occasions because people (mostly scouts and young men in the church) hear about it and ask me to take them. It is a specular cave with some very interesting climbing problems. Essentially, you are climbing in the dark, in the rain, and on crumbling rock.



Jim Berndt rappeling down the Devil's Throat.













Me climbing out of The Pit.















Me climbing into The Pit.



Shea in The Pit










The seasonal sand speleotherm.






Rigging an anchor.





Brad Smith and I took the Ellensburg 3rd Ward Priest Quorum into the cave last weekend. We slept just below the 1st rappel. (There is a nice (almost dry) flat sandy spot which makes a nice camp site.) We got to the end of the cave by 11:00 am the next morning and were out of the cave by 3:00pm. We met a group of Venture Scouts from Kennewick at the Devil's Throat (rappel No. 2) and had a nice visit with them. They had never gone beyond The Pit (the 3rd rappel), nor onto the Devil's Gut (the 4th rappel and the largest room in the cave), which is sad because beyond that, just above the Rainbow Room is the best part of the cave. The last rappel (the Devil's bowels) is complex and big and fun to explore. Below are some pics of this last trip and when Shea and I went with Evan Berndt and his dad last summer.


Enrance of the cave with Brad Smith.







Carson Arnold Climbing out of The Pit. Me on belay.










Entrance of Dynamite Cave. Hauling gear into the cave.








7 comments:

Rangi said...

Daryl, I really have to come up and spend a week with you and get some Yakimanian adventure. It looks awesome.

Rangi said...

Darrell, sorry I spelled your name wrong.

Unknown said...

Darrell, thank you for your kind words! I hope you know that you inspire me everyday to be a better person. As you already know I am very outspoken when it comes to a subject that I feel strongly about. I just hope that I was able to inspire others around me to get up and make a difference. We can all do our part to change the world one little "rock" at a time. ~Leni

Darcee said...

Love all the new posts. I've been waiting for you to finally post something. I love to feel part of the Yakimania!

Anonymous said...

Im planning a trip for the scouts in the ward to the dynamite cave but HAVE NEVER DONE IT BEFORE. I have all the rock climbing equipptment but wantto pick your brain on where to get a map and a few other things email me please at jimmyhoffa3@hotmail.com
Rob

Unknown said...

Darrell, I am planning a trip into dynamited cave and have been looking for a map for some time. Could you please contact me so I can ask you a couple of questions, and possibly send me a map if you have one?
thanks, Jake
jakesscar@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Staying the night in the cave is stupid and there is no need seeing how the cave can be explored in one day. The woods are a good place to camp. Its a real shame that so many people know of this cave.