Friday, March 15, 2013

1+ Billion People Cannot be Wrong!







I have three big passions in life: traveling with Sheila, attempting physically challenging things and chilling with my family.  Recently, Sheila and enjoyed some down time in San Diego. I was ostensibly there for a firm retreat, but we still found time to go to the San Diego temple, see BYU get beat up in basketball by San Diego University, sail the San Diego bay and go to a number of amazing restaurants.  We went to a couple of Triple D establishments (you know Guy Fieri's show featuring amazing hole-in-wall eateries).  We visited Blue Water Seafood, a San Diego Dive that is famous for its fish tacos.  Upon the recommendation of our waitress, I ordered the Cioppino.  To say this dish was amazing would be a ginormous understatement.  At the moment of my first bite, I'm pretty sure I forgot my name.  When I got to the dregs of my bowl, I had no choice--I reverted to Asian mode and brought the bowl to my still very hungry mouth.  I could sense that Sheila was  aghast when I breached table etiquette by lifting the bowl off the table.  The look in her eye seemed to scream, "Were you raised by wolves?!"

In the moment I didn't much care much about her protests.  Perhaps this is because I had a number of immediate defenses.  First, if the chef didn't expect the restaurant patrons to lift the bowl to their faces, he/she would not have made it so yummy.  Second, we were not in England, nor at any table with place settings like Downtown Abby.  Third, the dregs of an excellent bowl of Cioppino is always the best part and bringing the dregs to your face only makes sense. And lastly but most importantly, almost half of the world's population eat like this for each and every meal.  Can these billion plus denizens of planet earth all be wrong? 

Sheila and I have an Asian trip in the offing.  I can only hope that she will come to find acceptable looking into my hungry eyes peering over the top of a rice bowl. 

No comments: