Sunday, October 13, 2013

A Whole Park Full of "Supers."

 Two supers that barely need costumes.
 While neither are superheroes per se, they are both "super" for sure!
 Two "super" members of my family--Janee and Rhett.
 I gotta be honest, having the feel of hair on my head felt pretty darn good!
 The Incredible Hulk in so many ways!
 Although this was a ton of work for Jenn and Darc, I think they also had a good time. 
 Even super heroes need their rest.
 One of our family's favorite persons and Alison's namesake, and her beautiful daughter, Presley.
 A super Grandpa, Kevin Burnett!
 I mostly just hung out, but Darcee and Jenn gave me the mike, which made my day. 
 Okay, we know it's not a superhero costume, but she is so cute, does it really matter?!
Congratulations, indeed!

Hero-Up For Children Cancer was an amazing race!  To say that we are proud of Darcee and her siblings would be a huge understatement.  She had a cool idea to bring together persons interested in cancer awareness and raise money for cancer research all at the same time.  I had my doubts initially that anyone could make money putting on such a race.  I stand corrected--I now have the vision that Darcee had when she first conceived this race.

Darcee has often wondered whether there was a place for a woman like her in the church (and in our Mormon culture)--afterall she doesn't sew, she is not interested in crafts and she possesses only passable singing ability.  What does a woman like her do in the church?  How does she fit in?  With such an obviously lack of normal LDS woman-like virtues, could she ever actually be called to serve as a Relief Society President? 

So, what does she do?  She runs.  Not exactly the prototypical talent for an LDS woman.  Despite the dearth of notable, more mainstream and acceptable LDS type talents, she is a super hero in all of the things that really matter.  She is determined and courageous.  She is an excellent mother and wife.  She is the sort of daughter that every parent dreams of raising.  In short, there so much more to her than sewing, crafts and music. 

The race that Jen and her put on is hard to sum up.  I have written more detailed thoughts in my journal that better describe my feelings on this race, but suffice it to say, that the next time this most remarkable daughter tells me she has a great idea, I assure you, I will not doubt.  I have always viewed her as Wonder Woman, and now she has left no doubt--she is worthy of that moniker in every way. 

Although the concept of the race was Darcee's, she couldn't have done it without a lot of much appreciated help. particularly from her siblings, close friends and ward members.  And Jenn?  Well, she is the real deal for sure--an absolute reincarnate of Marvel Girl!  I can't wait to see what's in store for these two real life Super Heroes.

(As a post script, I must correct my beautiful niece, Alex who blogged that I dressed up like the Wolverine.  Yes, she owes me a "super" big apology.  This is because I exude the essence of the Wolverine to such a degree that simply allowing my inner-Wolverine to emerge can hardly be described as merely "dressing up.")

3 comments:

Rocky said...

Darcee is truly Wonder-woman. DK on the other hand, well at least you have your Wolverine belt. I am sad I missed this, but am excited to be around for it next year. I am still hoping for a fishing trip as well, but I may have put that in jeopardy with my above comment. Great job Darcee and everyone else who assisted. So awesome!!!!

Rangi said...

Darcee is awesome and an inspiration to all! I really am hoping I can make it up there next year as well. (And I am not going to take any cheap shots about Wolverine.)

MaryJane said...

What a beautiful, well-deserved post about beautiful daughter of yours. Your entire family makes you a very lucky guy!