Saturday, February 1, 2014

My Top Ten List for 2013

As I set goals for 2014, I have reflected on the wonderful events and magical moments of 2013.  Our trip to Europe and dropping Lil D off at the MTC have to rank right up there.  But there were so many other significant events that it's hard to narrow it down.  Regardless, here's my best attempt at the Top Ten Things in my life in 2013

1. Going as an entire family with Lil D to take out her endowments at the Columbia River Temple; 
2. The birth of Ana Shea;
3. Chelsea's graduation from the University of London;
4. Darcee's fundraising race--Hero-Up for Children's Cancer;
5. Seeing Shea make the honor roll at UVU; 
6. Prague;
7. Discovering the magic of bees;
8. My entry into the world of sailing;
9. Earning my blue belt in Jujitsu; 
10. Weaseling my way into the Girls' Trip for 2013.


The Columbia River Temple with all our children.
 
Although 2013 held some big challenges, we feel so unworthy of all the good in our life.  Sheila and often comment to each other that we deserve so little, and yet have so much.  It feels to me as though life is less like a journey and more like a series of experiences and events that build upon each other, with each event providing meaning and context to what I am experiencing next.  The joys and challenges of today are enriched, appreciated and valued because of what happened yesterday.  I feel deeply about today because of my past encounters, with each event and personal observation contributing something significant to my present experience.  I know that I am progressing towards middle life because I hurt so much after wrestling and Jujitsu practice, but it feels less like a journey and more like a collection of meaningful encounters, with each one adding ever greater value and context to the next.   So my earnest prayer is that 2014 will contribute many more phenomenal events that will make my tomorrows deeper and more meaningful that what occurred yesterday. 

3 comments:

Sydney said...

What a great post! You guys really did have an amazing year. The nice thing about being a competitive person, is that I know you won't let it rest. You will make sure that 2014 is just as memorable! (if not more painful since your paternal age is clearly catching up with you)

Rocky said...

Awesome list! Hoping Thailand makes the 2014 list. I was especially excited to see Prague make the list. It is one of my favorite cities I have visited. In fact, we have a painting of it hanging aside our dinner table.

Darcee said...

LOVE this post and your perspective.