Friday, January 30, 2009

Hammer Pants: A fashion concept with no Boundaries!

I post the following in tribute to all middle aged men who still remember with fondness “Hammer Pants.” Some of you might know these bad boy fashion statements as “Parachute Pants.” Call them what you will—regardless, they represent one of the most daring and satisfying fashion ideas ever conceived. First of all, they look really good. When I say “good” I believe my wife (the Shewolf) is thinking, “sexy”, or something along those lines. Second, from a fashion standpoint, they are completely versatile. You can wear them with any cool T-shirt, regardless of the color. You see, when it comes to “hammer time” color coordination is not a necessity. In fact, the more absurd the color mix, the more confidence you exude—and as every man my age knows, confidence is what “hammer time” is all about. Third, Hammer Pants make a statement about who we are. As good looking men my age well know, gravity causes us to assume a more blockish physique as we mature. As this has happened to me, I have mostly gone with the flow. I consider myself in defensive mode—the heavier I get, the harder I am to push around. I want my woman to know that her man is not going to be pushed around by some young, skinny punk with boney abs. No siree, the Shewolf needs to know that I am here to stay! As I gain a pound or few, my Hammer Pants (with elastic waist band, of course) expand with me--just like an old friend who never lets me down. As my character and personality deepens, and my face matures into a more rugged version of who I used to be (ala Paul Newman, Robert Redford and of course, Clint Eastwood), I need a pair of pants that can handle my growing essence and ever improving self. Fourth, Hammer Pants feel great. What man wants to simply look exceptional all the time? Personally, I am willing to leave that to super model (mostly gay) men. "Comfort is King" in my house, and of course in my wardrobe. To look great, every man my age knows that you have to feel great. Hammer Pants create a comfort zone like no other.

And so, everyday as I squeeze into my old-school, button down 501 blue jeans, whose waist measurement now far exceed its length measurement, I wistfully long for the comfort and bold fashion that is Hammer Pants!



To complete this post, I searched for an old photo of me styling in Hammer Pants. None could be found. As a "conspiracy-theorist" on so many levels, I am convinced that my fashion ignorant children destroyed all evidence of me in Hammer Pants. (Tragically, they threw out my Hammer Pants several years ago when I was away on an extended trip!) The only proof I have is the following pic of me in Beaver Cave wearing a really cool pair of Black and White Hammer Pants. Trust me, this pic does not begin to do the pants justice.

6 comments:

Darcee said...

Love the post. Hate the pants. Seriously, what kind of backwards reality are you living in to think that Hammer Pants are or ever were, fashionable? I'm still on a mission to find a better pic of you sporting the pants, though. We must do your fashion justice!

Kevin said...

lol. That's so funny! Darcee, I hope you find another picture. Those pants bring back good memories.

Rangi said...

Love the post. Love the pants. In the 10th grade I had to have Cher personally sew me custom Hammer Pants with the crotch dropped down to the knees, just like the real Hammer. You couldn't just go out to the mall in Utah County and pick up a pair of those. They had to be custom. Cher delivered and they were awesome and all the cool kids at school were jealous. Yes Darcee, they were fashionable... for at least 1o minutes.

On a seperate note as the only public follower of your blog, I had a special request of you to check my most recent post. I think you will appreciate it.

cheryl said...

Darrell, Rick really thought Hammer pants were way after your time. I guess you have always been into the latest fashions at any age. The proof is in the picture. I would love to see one more picture. Rangi did have some hot ones too. I think we hated them so much we never did take pictures. We wanted no evidence. I was a better mom than I thought, though. I actually did make them for Rangi in the 10th grade. Let's see how old were you... that was 1990?

Darrell said...

Cheryl: While you are correct that I was a little old to be wearing Hammer Pants, that's precisely my point--Hammer Pants have no boundaries, including age!

Sydney said...

I have many fond memories of your rear end in the hammer pants pulling weeds.