Monday, January 26, 2009

The Debate Rages On: Linger Longers--Are they Celestial in Origin?

Linger Longers: Are they doctrinal? Are they authorized by the Church's General Handbook of Instruction? Did we Linger Longer in the Pre-Life? Will we Linger Longer in the Celestial Kingdom? These were questions thoughtfully posed by our Ward Council when I was bishop. Members either love them or hate them. I have mixed feelings about these events from a doctrinal standpoint, but in the end because they involved cookies, I agreed with the Yea Sayers--Linger Longers Rock! Bishopric members and others in administrative callings start early on Sunday, do not get a lunch break and essentially engage in forced fasting on most Sundays. Ostensibly, Linger Longers are scheduled for fellowshipping purposes, but for those of us who start early and end late on Sunday, its really a matter of sustenance. So count me and mine (Sheila and Little D excluded) as fans. Below are some pics of the Yakima 2nd Ward's most recent and righteous Linger Longer. It has been broadcast long and loud that Y-2 is the Church's best ward (Say it Loud--We're Y2 and Proud!--or something like that). I think these pics prove it. In the words of the importal Kung Fu Panda, "There is no charge for the attractiveness or the awesomeness!"





3 comments:

Darcee said...

I am a definite "No-vote" on Linger Longers. Unless I know from which the source those cookies come, it's not worth the torture. I've been waiting for you to do another post! This cracked me up!

chelsea said...

I go either way. At this stage in my life linger longers can be beneficial to the social scene if you know what I mean. But I don't think they are as necessary in family wards. Love the post!

Mary said...

I vote that you wear Hammer Pants to the next Linger Longer.