Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Drive it like you Stole It, Baby!

I must apologize to my faithful worldwide readership about my 6 month hiatus from the blogosphere. However, in my defense, I have just completed an insanely busy summer. So, now that I am in Europe relaxing with Sheila, I have found some leisure time to get reacquainted with my laptop.

Now most of you know that my wife frequently refers to me as "Handsome Rob." "Handsome Rob" was the character played by Jason Statham in the movie The Italian Job. I believe this moniker applies to me on multiple levels. First, is my most excellent hair-cut, which is as tight, if not tighter than Esq. Statham's. Second, is my physique...Okay, so that's a slight exaggeration. Next, are my peerless driving skills. Some of you might remember Sr. Statham's role in theTransporter movies. Now everything about me that causes my wife to think "Handsome Rob" was brought to light this past week when we decided to rent a car and drive north to Scotland, Stratford on Avon, Warwick Castle, etc. The first turn out of the rental car agency was straight into oncoming traffic with me driving in the wrong lane. Things got a little crazy for few seconds because I struggled to find Reverse in my stylish Peugot 207. I finally got us turned around and things mostly went well, except for that time I went the wrong direction on a round-about. Oops! To say that this experience caused a wee bit of anxiety would be a gross understatement. Regardless of my lack of adequate driving skills, my total absence of Hollywood good looks, and my "Big Ab" that has replaced my erstwhile six pack, my wife seemed mildly impressed with my abilities to transport us safely the length and breadth of the UK. Well, at least she was appreciative that we were able to get from Point A to Point B and sundry other destinations. This week's UK Tour has included the following highlights:

1. Getting Chelsea set up in her London flat;
2. Touring The University of London;
3. Visiting the birthplace and home of Sheila's Grandpa Hague in Workington;
4. Attending Sacrament meeting in Glasgow;
5. Finding the grave of my great-great-great-great-great grandparents: Williams and Sarah Smart near Leicester;
6. Hanging out in Edinburgh (maybe the coolest city I've ever been to);
7. Re-enacting the Kate and William wedding at the Westminster Abbey;
8. Eating spicy Indian food;
9. Rocking out to Scottish Rock;
10. Visiting the Warwick Castle.

Tomorrow after we do the London Tower, we leave for Switzerland to hang out with Rocky and Sarah Smart. By the way, if the Swiss are crazy enough to rent me a car, I hope they don't realize that my motto while driving in Europe is "Drive it like you Stole it, Baby!"









"Handsome Rob" at the wheel probably driving down the wrong side of the road. Apparently, my jaunty English driving cap did not actually help me drive any better.


The Warwick Castle.
Windsor Castle.


Grave of William and Sarah Smart, my great-great-great-great grandparents.


Edinburgh Castle.

My introduction to the Queen Mum.


Sheila and Chelsea at the home where her Grandpa Hague was born in Workington.


Me challenging William Wallace.

7 comments:

Saimi said...

A most excellent post indeed!! As far as your crazy driving goes...I'll stay 'Mum' on that subject!

sheila said...

Hey handsome Rob, you have been sorely missed these last 6 months. Fun post and pics, here's looking forward to more great times with you and Mr. William Wallace! Love you!

Rangi said...

Hey the good news is you can switch back to the right side of the road in Switzerland, and good thing because Rocky emailed me a link of the trip he is planning for you and the driving is hairy to say the least. Enjoy!

MaryJane said...

Totally laughing out loud. Glad you are back. Thought I might have to become your Facebook friend to get a taste of your great sense of humor! You guys look great and I can still see your belt, so the "Big Ab" must not be too big yet!

Sarah said...

Hmmm drive it like you stole it might be Rocky's motto for driving too. Which is fine by me, unless I'm looking over a sheer mountain cliff, six inches away, with about a million foot drop. Hope you still want to come, we're so excited to see you guys!

Sydney said...

Please return my mother home safely to me. I cannot live without She-She. Also, William Wallace looks like a total pansy standing next to you.

Rhetteric said...

Darrell! Hey, I'm in southern Germany, driving to Zurich today. Where will you guys be? We should hook up!

Rhett 949-838-7313