Monday, September 12, 2011

A Little Confession


This past summer, before Nick went back to school, he had to borrow my truck for some reason. Allegedly, when he started up my rig a Justin Beiber song was blaring on my radio. Apparently, the last person who had driven my truck was blasting some serious Beiber Fever on my I-Pod, which was playing through my radio. At least, that's the allegation of one of my former, favorite sons-in-law. At first, I tried vehemently to deny that I had driven my truck last, but Nick wouldn't let it go. He meticulously established that I had, in fact, driven the truck last, AND that it was, in fact, I who had been listening to the Beibster at about 180 decibels, which is the sound level emitted by a military jet on take-off.

In the end, I had to finally admit that it was me that had last driven the truck AND that, indeed, it was me that had been rocking out to a Justin Beiber tune. This was extremely difficult given my tough guy image. I pretty much only listen to classic rock, jazz and Irish folk tunes. Well at least that's what I want people to believe. Now that my cover is blown, I'm just going to admit it on the vasty deep that is the world wide web, I have occasionally rocked out with the Beibster.



I don't know if it's the Beibster's Canadian roots, or the fact that he writes his own music, or the simple fact that he is an amazing musical talent. Whatever the reason, its true that I like a couple of his songs . It is untrue that I have a special Justin Beiber playlist on my I-Pod, entitled Beiber Fever (someone would have to get their hands on my I-Pod to prove this fact). Also, the reports circulating that I have some JB lyrics memorized is also grossly exaggerated. (Well, at least Nick will never be able to prove this little fact.) At any rate, suffice it to say, that I have listened to him occasionally.




When Lil' D left for school, she took with her the lifesize effigy of the Beibster that is shown in the picture above. Our family enjoyed having Justin hang out with us in the kitchen every day. Typically, the first face to greet me every morning for breakfast was Justin's. His face was also the first to greet me when I came through the door after a long day of work. Because of this, it was tough to see him leave for BYU. However, before anyone creeps out too much, please know that I also am really missing Lil' D.

4 comments:

Nick said...

"The reports circulating that I have JB lyrics memorized is also grossly exaggerated." -Darrell Smart

Video evidence in my possession shows this little claim to be grossly incorrect. For a price, I will not post to the vast worldwide readership.

Sydney said...

Having the Biebs join our "family" was the highlight of my summer. I too, am sad to see him leave for college. I can only hope we will see him at thanksgiving.

Darrell said...

Nick, you drive a very hard bargain, indeed.

Rangi said...

Hey are you getting my emails, because you don't respond to any of them. I just sent one to you. If you got it at least let me know so I can confirm you are ignoring me.