Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Holy Grail of Hot Chocolate

Part of our European search for the perfect hot chocolate involved many chocolate detours, such as this: Chocolate waffles in Belgium. 
 
In 1999 I sent my wife and her best friend, Julie Turner to Chicago to see a taping of the Oprah show.  (I'm pretty sure I was nominated for Spouse of the Year that year.)  I might have one-upped myself with this past trip to Europe.  Following Chelsea's graduation in London, we toured around Europe in search of the perfect hot chocolate.  We visited beautiful cities and small, quaint villages in search of the Best European Hot Chocolate.  Along the way we tasted chocolates of every shape and variety.  While in Cologne, Germany (one of the most beautiful cities that I have ever visited) I took my wife to the Shokolade (Chocolate) Museum.  She was giddy to be sure.  These are actual words spoken by her while in the museum:

      I think I have made a career choice.
 
      Do you think they would hire someone who doesn't speak German, but who really loves chocolate?
 
     I'm in heaven.
 
     Ooh!
 
     Aah!
 
     Oh my gosh! Come see this!
 
     This is amazing!

The following are actual chocolate related quotes by my wife at various other locations in Belgium, England, the Czech Republic and Germany:

I love you! (Presumably directed towards me, but she was looking into her hot chocolate cup as she spoke these words.)
That's tragic! (When a man next to us in The Old Chocolate House ordered simple tea.)
I've  heard that chocolate is an aphrodisiac.  (My response to which was to double every bit of chocolate that she ordered.)

And although, Sheila didn't say it, she didn't need to; the look on her face spoke volumes:  I think I might love Chocolate more than you!  Now, I am not threatened this by this for two obvious reasons.  First, chocolate enhances our relationship.  Second, I know that my wife loves chocolate so much it helps me appreciate how much she actually loves me. Based upon her love for chocolate, I'm pretty sure our marriage sits upon a rock solid foundation.
 
Below are pictures from Our European Quest for the Holy Grail of Hot Chocolate: 

We searched in many chocolate shops.
We negotiated narrow and treacherous European roadways.
We looked high...
and we looked low.
 

We looked here...


and there...


and everywhere.

 
And finally, the best hot chocolate we found was at The Old Hot Chocolate House in Brugges, Belgium. 
 
 

 
It was the ambiance, the aromas, and yes, the chocolate that made all the difference.

Finally, I am including our much discussed and debated list of top hot chocolates in the world:

1. Angelina's in Paris, France.  Hands down this is it.  Angelina's is located on Rue de Rivoli, across from the Tuileries Garden.  The chocolate is rich and dark and sweet.  It is so thick that it coats your tongue in a weird but amazing way.

2. The Hot Chocolate House in Brugges, Belgium.  The chocolate is divine and the ambiance is fun.

3. Mt. Hood's Timberline Lodge specialty hot chocolate.  We have debated it's inclusion in our list because of what's included (bits of toffee--the dregs of this hot chocolate become an amazing sludge of fudgy, toffee flavors.)  It tastes pretty much like a hot liquid Heath bar, but with superior chocolate.  The ambiance is unique for me as a climber.  I am not sure if this hot chocolate taste so amazing because whenever I drink it I have just exhausted myself climbing Mt. Hood.

4. The 40th Avenue Espresso in Yakima, Washington.  We're sorry but we had to include something close to home.  To make the list for me, you have to pay extra and then ask the barista to use the Ghirardelli chocolate.  I order it with 3 pumps of caramel syrup, whipped cream and caramel and chocolate sauce drizzled on the top. Yummo!

5. Finally, The Chocolate Pot at the Salish Lodge near Seattle. We hesitated including this in our list because the Lodge changed ownership several years ago and the facility is a shadow of what it used to be.  The hot chocolate is no longer prepared table side, although the hot chocolate is still pretty darn good.  It's inclusion on this list is the original Chocolate Pot, which is technically no longer available.  This hot chocolate was so much more than the wild, table side whipping and explanation of what makes an intense chocolate flavor; the hot chocolate was the closest thing to Angelina's that we have tasted.

Finally, I must include in my personal list the She-Wolf's 806-North-67th-Avenue Hot Chocolate lovingly made for me upon demand. She uses bitter chocolate chips, whole milk and half-n-half in her preparation.  She laces it with caramel and home-made whipping cream.  It's to die for.  Really, I mean it--I might take a bullet for her hot chocolate.  Well, at a minimum, it would be something to include in my last earthly meal!

1 comment:

Darel said...

Cutest parents ever! If only they would have taken their cutest daughter on the Chocolate tour! She-She looks like she is in Heaven!!!