Thursday, March 26, 2009

Me and my Flowbe.



Life is really good for me right now. One obvious reason is that I no longer have bad hair days. About once a month I adminster a "flowbe treatment" to my pate, and Voila--there you have it, a perfect haircut. Since my blog is very popular--after all, I do serve a "Vast Worldwide Readership"--I am more than a little concerned about revealing this little personal secret on-line. Nevertheless, here IT is: I was voted "Best Hair" in the seventh grade. What is most impressive about this designation was the era in which this honor took place. Afros were king in 1973. I had a loose tangle of afro-like curls on my head. Coupled with my recycled Navy bell bottom jeans that were meant to be worn as tight as skin around the booty, and a sexy silk shirt with fly away collars, you know that I was "Dynooomite!" However, occasionally, the loose afro thing just didn't work and I would have what women today call a "bad hair day." (Apparently, however, none in the 7th grade.) When your image is based in large part upon how cool you look, a bad hair day can be devastating. Those days are long gone. They ended way before I lost my hair--I think that happened in my late 20s. (Which incidentally coincides with the arrival of multiple children. The older I get, the more I am reminded by my children just how "uncool" I really am.)



I have never seriously thought about Rogaine and the Men's Hair Club, mostly because I am cheap. I have traded my glorious hair days for a most amazing device: the Flowbe. Now, there are some cheaper imitations out there like "Robo-cut", but for the money and durability, the Flowbe can't be beat. It's double strength vaccuum system insures no mess. (Like the ad says, "It sucks best!") It's high quality steel blades insure a great haircut, everytime. It's name insures confidence. Now some of you may think that I am a paid front man for this company. Not so. While it is true, that times are tough and all of us are looking for ways to earn a little extra cash, my commitment to the Flowbe is more personal; much more like a heartfelt expression of deep gratitude. These days, I never hear, "Hey dude, your hair is out of place" or "Check it out, you got a wicked cowlick" or "You must be having a bad hair day." None of that. I get up every morning with the absolute confidence that I'm gonna have a great hair day. I rub my scalp enthusiastically, look in the mirror and say, "I AM natural's greatest miracle!" And while I can't say that I owe it all to my Flowbe, I have to admit, when I look at the same beautiful head every day, I like what I see. As stated previously, I hate to reveal personal/family secrets on such a popular public venue such as Darrell's Yakimania, but I think it's pretty apparent to everyone who has witnessed the interaction between my wife and I just how much the She-wolf really loves my US Marine style "do". Seriously. Watch her carefully when we're together and you will undoubtedly catch her her rubbing my most awesome "do"; or at times looking at me with what is obviously an almost uncontrolable sense of passion in her face that one immediately thinks of Bella and Edward.

Although I must admit that at times when I see a rich, handsome, fiftyish year old man with a full head of hair driving a sports car, I wonder how it's possible. But then I remind myself that I was never tall. I grew up on South 3rd East in Downtown SLC. I have always had "ginormous" ears. Thin is not an adjective that is typically associated with the Smart Family name. And I don't even like tiny sport cars. As I think about who I really am, I feel pretty darn good about my average hair. It compliments my average face and fits in quite nicely in my average life. And although my satisfaction with my hair cannot be entirely attributed to the Flowbe Hair Treatment System, this too fits in quite nicely with my life. Life is, in deed, good.

*Included above is a picture of me in 1981 after a wrestlting tournament holding Darcee Kae. Did I mention how much I look forward to the resurrection and the restoration of all things? Alma 40:23 has always been a favorite scripture of mine: "The soul shall be restored to the the body, and the body to the soul; yea, and every limb and joint shall be restored to its body; yea, even a hair of the head shall not be lost; but all things shall be restored their proper and perfect frame."

9 comments:

sheila said...

Hey Edward, loved your post, and you are exactly right about me and that head of yours. You look so young in that pic, where does the time go? Still passionately yours, Bella

Darcee said...

Yes, at least you and your Bella have an envious and very above-average relationship, even if most everything else feels average.
That 1981 hair is definitely NOT average. You are totally rockin' the rughead! Love it! Cole and Keith surely have your hair. It just needs to grow in a little thicker. (And sadly, yes, they also have your ears--a mark of royalty I believe you call ears such as those...)

Anonymous said...

This is great Darrell. This whole sit is so funny and Best hair 7th grade is so impressive. I check up on here once a week so its good to see some high quality information on here.

Sydney said...

I'm going to be honest "Edward," I did not know a flowbe could inspire such a great post. Thank goodness for great inventions. I often think of you when I blow dry my hair each morning. Or should I say fro? I definitely inherited the best traits from you dad. I wouldn't change my fluffy do for anything, afterall, once you go black...you NEVER go back.

chelsea said...

Syd got it right--Mom may have given us our good looks by our great hair definately comes from you! good thing for us we're girls and probably won't loose it. You should be the flowbe spokesperson!

Rangi said...

Darrell, I am also a Flowbe owner. Rocky gave it to me for Christmas about five years ago. But I have never gotten a good haircut from it. Maybe I have too much hair and it will work better twenty years from now?

Cathy said...

Dear Bella
Don't let Edward use his flowbe on your neck. I have no concrete evidence, but caution is advised.

Megan Potter said...

Is that really you in 7th grade??!!

Susi Daw said...

I seriously thought that was Shea when I looked at it. Tell Shea he doesn't need to go far to see a picture of himself at fifty. :)