Wednesday, March 3, 2010

$5 Lobster







Several years ago while vacationing in Costa Rica with our kids, Sheila and I had a chance to enjoy a dinner out with her brother Daryl and his wife Annie. We were at a restaurant and I ordered lobster. It was the largest, most succulent lobster I had ever eaten. After the first bite, I felt compelled to review the currency exchange rate in my head and realized that this most delicious culinary experience was not only heavenly, but cheap--dirt cheap. My lobster dinner was a mere $5. I immediately ordered two more lobsters. With some embarrassment, our waiter apologized and explained that he would have to charge me for the entire lobster dinner even though I only wanted the lobster. If you were a certified Lobster Lover and rarely ordered it because it almost always costs twice as much as everything else on the menu, what would you have done when faced with the opportunity to order three delectable lobsters for only $15? That's right...I pulled the trigger on the three crustaceans and enjoyed what has become known in the Smart Family as "Lobster Mania."

Now fast forward several years, I am in Moorea, Tahiti with Sheila celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and enjoying a romantic evening at a little French restaurant on the water. On the menu I find myself tempted to order "Lobster Flambeau." What is served dusts the flavor and intensity of my experience in Costa Rica. The French truly know how to cook. It was buttery, yes; but there was something more, much more. Something sweet and spicy. I couldn't quite put my head around all of the flavors. Out of curiosity I inquired with the Matre d' what it would cost if I ordered just the lobster and not the rice and veggies. With some embarrassment the Matre d' apologized and explained that it would be the same $85 as the entire entre "Lobster Flambeau." Lobster Lovers what would you have done?...OK, so it wasn't "Lobster Mania" like in Costa Rica, but it was pretty amazing just the same.

In short, a single crustacean was ample. The view and the ambience were something altogether out of this world. As you can imagine, the view across the water as we dined on the bay was heavenly, but the view across the table of my most delicious bride was, well, simply celestial.

4 comments:

chelsea said...

Go hard or go home--right?!! I just ate the best Pad Thai in Bangkok for $1.30. I guess I should have ordered more. I guess there is always tommorrow.

Sydney said...

I guess when you are in Tahiti the hungry dog does NOT win the race. :)

Anonymous said...

First off let me say 4 months is WAY to long to go with out a post from my favorite super hero. Please don't do it again :)

I hope that when Travis and I celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary that he will still look across the table and be as much in love with me as you two are.

May you have many more Lobster meals with you love!!!

Rangi said...

I never got a 5 dollar lobster when I was in Costa Rica, and if I ever make it to Tahiti I won't be getting an 85 dollar one either, I'll just have to settle for 1 dollar Filet-o-Fish Fridays for now.