Monday, January 16, 2012

Do I hear an echo?!










I have heard many middle-aged empty nesters claim that life was never better. I don't see it that way. Sheila and I have been alone for a week now, and I am hearing an echo. It's almost creepy. With kids around, I didn't have to think about what I was going to do--their calendars, events and schedules dictated my every move. I was able to carve out a few minutes for myself doing things I wanted to do. However, my schedule was always set against the backdrop of family events. Now, everything not set in stone by church and office work, is basically all mine. Sounds great? I hate it. I liked being inconvenienced by the kids. We had our children, to have our children. If I hadn't injured my knee, I would at least be working out. Without that outlet, I basically work at the office. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty to do, I just miss the kids and doing what they have scheduled. People have suggested that Sheila and I "borrowed" Peter and Tara last fall to give us time to adjust to this new life. While that's not true, having them around did help with this transition. Bishop Tree consoled me at church yesterday and assured me that in about 6 months time, I would adjust and might even find myself enjoying the empty nest. Hmmmm.... I have my doubts. So please keep me in your earnest prayers over the next 6 months and let's see if I can get through this.

3 comments:

ronandlindahatfield said...

Don't believe Jim --- it takes longer!!! Good luck!

chelsea said...

So glad that we are actually missed. You know whenever you need a break from the silence, London and fav daughter will be waiting:)

Rangi said...

I am sure the empty-nest will take some getting use to but some days it doesn't sound that bad.